HubSpot Releases 2023 Sustainability Report, Sharing Path to Net-Zero and Investments in Employees, Communities, Customer Trust
Published on May 25, 2023
At HubSpot, our purpose is to build a company future generations would be proud of. It powers how we operate, care for our employees, solve for our customers, and achieve our mission of helping millions of organizations grow better. Three years into our sustainability journey, we’ve made some meaningful progress, but we recognize there’s more to be done if we want to create long-term impact for our employees, customers, and communities.
Today, we’re proud to share our 2023 Sustainability Report, which highlights our ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) progress, key milestones, and opportunities across three pillars: investing in climate action, creating value & equity for our people and supporting our communities, and practicing good governance.
Disclosures in our 2023 Sustainability Report are aligned with the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) and reference the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), The Financial Stability Board’s Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), allowing us to identify, measure, and manage where we can grow better.
“Reflecting on the changes to our planet, systems, and society over the past year, it’s clear that now more than ever we must deliver on our purpose,” said Yogesh Chauhan, Director of ESG at HubSpot. “Our 2023 Sustainability Report shares transparency into how we are creating a resilient, sustainable, and ethical business, fostering connection across a diverse and equitable workplace, and investing in the communities where we live and work. We’ve made tremendous strides, and the road ahead will require continued innovation, collaboration, and a commitment to purpose-driven ESG. I’m looking forward to forging partnerships across our value chain to build a sustainable future together.”
ESG highlights from HubSpot’s 2022 fiscal year and key milestones in the first quarter of 2023:
- Doubled down on our climate strategy, with the goal of reaching net-zero carbon emissions by 2040. In October 2022, we submitted our science-based targets for validation by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), and expect to receive approval by July 2023. We are focused on meeting our targets and reaching net-zero carbon emissions by, amongst many things, making our buildings sustainable, supporting employees to reduce their travel footprint through awareness, education campaigns and policies & procedures, and working with our suppliers to achieve a low-carbon economy.
- Evolved our hybrid model and continued to invest in a culture that values flexibility, connection, and prioritizes diversity and belonging at its core. In 2022, we achieved gender parity at the Company Executive Leadership Team (CELT) level and our population of women reached 47% company-wide. In addition, we drove connection through virtual and in-person culture, diversity, and learning events for our 7,400+ employees globally.
- Grew our impact in the communities where we live and work. Based on employee feedback, we rolled out a global employee volunteering platform and benefit so that HubSpotters can have dedicated time to meaningfully give back to the causes they care about. Through the platform, we contributed 2,000 hours to our communities across the globe.
- Invested in data privacy and security to build trust with our customers and partners. We rolled out several new tools designed to support our customers and safeguard their data, including product features to help our customers comply with evolving regulations, and mandatory two-factor authentication to better protect customer accounts. We also launched HubSpot’s Customer Trust Center, a one-stop-shop to learn more about our security, privacy, compliance, and governance practices.
While we’re proud of the progress we’ve made, we’re committed to doing better each year, and learning along our journey. Our focuses include:
- Executing on our science-based targets by delivering on our priorities for emissions reduction: By implementing a range of initiatives and measures, such as energy-efficient technologies, renewable energy procurement, and sustainable supply chain management practices, we are actively working to reduce our carbon footprint and align our operations with the goals of the Paris Agreement. As part of our ongoing commitment to transparency, we also intend to respond to the CDP (formerly Carbon Disclosure Project) survey in 2023.
- Continuing to foster a diverse, inclusive, and connected workplace where career growth is equitable for everyone: Our focus is on recruiting and retention for gender globally, and on BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) employee recruiting and retention within the United States. Recognizing that the way people built connections pre-pandemic has changed, we’ll also operationalize and drive progress on our Connect4 strategy to build remarkable hybrid connections.
- Maintaining trust and acting with integrity: We aim to put data transparency and control tools in place to help our customers build trust and deliver value to their customers. We’ll also continue our multi-year procurement vision by building an efficient, global end-to-end procure-to-pay process, with the goal of systematizing our approach to our value chain, minimizing risk, and better tracking sustainability into how we operate as a company.
Publishing our 2023 Sustainability Report is just one way we hold ourselves accountable to meeting our objective of building a high performing, sustainable, and equitable company. As we navigate our own path to building a bright future that generations can be proud of, we hope we can inspire our customers, partners, and communities to do the same.
For more information about sustainability at HubSpot and to view the 2023 Sustainability Report, visit www.hubspot.com/sustainability and follow HubSpot Life on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook to stay connected with our sustainability efforts in the future.